autumn according to traditional Chinese medicine
In Chinese Medicine, Autumn is associated with the metal element and the Lungs. During this season, plants are beginning to transition from the warm summer months to cooler winter months. Our bodies also prepare and store energy for winter during this season and promotes energy of “letting go”. Therefore, allowing us to make room for the newer and better. It is also a good season to finish projects that you’ve been working on, so you can take this time to begin new ones.
Autumn Association in Chinese Medicine
- Element– Metal
- Climate– Dryness
- Organ Associations– Lungs and Large Intestine
- Emotion– Sadness and Grief
- Sense Organ– Nose
- Tissues– Skin
TCM Tips For The Fall Transition
- Diet: Make sure to eat cooked foods and warm dishes. Try to incorporate some earthy root vegetables, such as: butternut squash, acorn squash, parsnips and other earthy root vegetables. When drinking water have it room temperature not cold. Lastly, try to avoid cold or raw fruits or vegetables.
- Letting go: Like mentioned earlier Autumn is a time to “let go” of emotional weight that is holding you down.
- Taking time to slow down: Since the days are staring to get shorter and darker, take time to relax and rest. Remind yourself to take a moment to just relax and breath. Try doing breath-work and qi gong click here to watch a couple of our youtube videos.
- Keep warm and protect your defensive Qi: Since the weather is getting colder try and layer up. With the Autumn weather you need to try and protect yourself from wind. The nape of your neck is told to be the most vulnerable to wind so try to bring a scarf for protection. In order to protect your immune system Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicines are very affective. Click here to read how acupuncture and herbs can help your immune system (wei qi)
Want to learn more supporting your immune system during this season
To read more about how to take care of your body during this season and which foods are best to support your system, click here.
Click here to book an appointment with one of our talented licensed acupuncturists and get started on embracing your health. Healing with Zen is experienced in supporting the immune system, treating pain, prescribing herbal formulas and supplements, women’s health and more!